Here’s a salad dressing that only takes 5-mins to make, is bursting with Omega Fatty Acids, improves digestion, can assist with weight loss and is delicious!
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
FLAXSEED (linseed) is the seed from the flax plant. It contains Omega 3’s which are potent anti-inflammatories and can assist in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure. It is full of Lignans which are powerful phytonutrients and antioxidants. If your diet is low in fish, then make your dressing with more of this oil than olive oil is to ensure you get your daily quota of Omega 3’s.
Olive oil is rich in oleic acid (omega 9) and Omega 6’s with smaller quantities of Omega 3’s. It is also packed full of vitamins A and E, and plant phenols which are powerful antioxidants known to reduce oxidative stress.
RAW APPLE CIDER VINEGAR is the product of fermenting pulverised apples. The sugars in the apples are broken down firstly to alcohol, then further to make vinegar, the main component being ‘Acetic acid’ as well as vitamins, mineral salts and amino acids. Whilst there are some wild health claims out there, some have been substantiated with research.
- A 2009 Japanese study concluded that a daily intake of 15ml of vinegar reduced body weight, visceral and subcutaneous fat mass, waist circumference and Triglyceride levels1.
- Another study conducted in 2013 showed that vinegar consumed at meal times showed anti-glycaemic effects2. This is not only useful in avoiding spikes in blood sugar levels that adversely affect blood sugar levels is also useful in those who have conditions related to insulin-resistance such as PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes.
OMEGA SALAD DRESSING RECIPE
- 4 tbsps. Organic flaxseed oil (you can get in the refrigerated section of Health Food Store)
- Or substitute for Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 tbsps. Raw Organic Apple cider vinegar (I recommend Bragg’s Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with the ‘mother’)
- 1 clove crushed garlic (optional)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice garlic (optional)
Optional extras: Depending on what you like; you can add some of these…. ½ chilli, ½ tsp. cumin or turmeric.
- Use a small bottle, or old jar (with lid), put in all ingredients (with a funnel)
- If made with flaxseed oil then you MUST keep the dressing in the fridge. If made with Olive oil then can be left on the counter
- Shake well before use
1 tbsp. = 60 Cal
- Central Research Institute. (2009). Acetic acid for 12 weeks experienced significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides.
- School of Nutrition and Health Promotion. (2013). Vinegar ingestion at mealtime reduced fasting blood glucose concentrations in healthy adults at risk for type 2 diabetes.