The EASIEST and most NUTRITIOUS breakfast you can make in 5 minutes! This is a traditional Swiss recipe created over a 100 yrs. ago by Maximillian Bircher-Benner, a Swiss doctor, who served it to his patients as a part of a healing therapy. The fact that it is soaked overnight helps to improve the digestion and absorption of the nutrient-dense ingredients.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
SERVINGS: 10 servings (100g each)
NUTRITIONAL VALUE (100g serving size)
224 calories, Protein 5.3g, Fat 15g, Sat Fat 8g, Carbohydrates 13g, Fibre 4g
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons of flaked or slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons goji berries (optional)
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml) OR 400ml homemade almond milk.
- 1½ cups filtered water (put this in the emptied coconut milk can, swish around, and then put in)
OPTIONAL: Instead of extra water, add freshly squeezed green apple juice for a sweeter taste. However be aware this will change the Nutritional Values.
- Put all the DRY ingredients into a large glass dish/bowl (that has a lid).
- Mix well with a spoon
- Pour on the coconut or almond milk and water. Mix well
- Put in fridge. It’s ready to eat after 5 or so hours.
- Keep in fridge, lasts 7-10 days.
EXAMPLES of SERVING OPTIONS
- Drizzle with honey
- Dollop of yoghurt
- Scattering of fresh berries
- Sliced banana, apple or pear.